Monday, January 21, 2013

17: Keeper of Promises (a.k.a. The Given Word; a.k.a. O Pagador de Promessas – original Portuguese title)



            Roger Ebert says that you can’t finish a review until you’ve started it – that you have to sit down and begin to write before any words will show up on the page.  He’s certainly right, but his philosophy doesn’t feel helpful when you don’t know how to begin the review.  Obviously I didn’t know how to start this one.  The more I think about Anselmo Duarte’s Keeper of Promises (1962), the more favorably I feel toward it, but I’m still not sure that I liked it…at least not in the traditional sense of the word.  I know that there were things I liked about it, but because I’m not sure exactly what its message was I can’t say that I took from it anything particularly moving.  I’m not of the opinion that all films need to be direct in their message.  That would make for boring cinema and even more boring conversations about cinema. 
However, there are some subjects that I feel can’t be addressed without being candid about what it is that you’re using cinema to say.  Obviously Keeper of Promises is a criticism of the Catholic Church and the position of power that it held in Brazil at the time of the film’s release.  I have two problems with this, neither of which stems from my own religious beliefs, but rather my beliefs about film.  First, I often feel that criticism of religion has been overdone in movies.  Luis Buñuel relied on it so heavily that it often overshadowed the better ideas that were present in his films.  Second, I feel that if you’re going to use art to criticize the church you should be specific in your criticism.  Call me a protestant (and so I am), but I think Luther got at least this right with his 95 complaints. 
Creating art that exists simply to criticize religion in general is like using Nazis or Wall Street sleaze balls as your villain.  It’s a cop out.  Who doesn’t have some issue with an aspect of organized religion?  Religion is necessary for individuals to collectively organize their faith.  It’s scary to many people because they don’t know quite where their faith fits in, but almost everyone acknowledges the need for spiritual guidance of some kind in life.  In this particular line of reasoning, religion reminds me a lot of the Internal Revenue Service.  Most of us have unfounded fears about what goes on there, but if we pay our taxes we have no reason to be afraid.  It isn’t something that we enjoy every aspect of, but as taxpayers we acknowledge its viable and necessary function.  Movies that cast religion as an immense but nonspecific evil feel like they’re taking the easy way out because no one wants to see a movie where the bad guys are the IRS.*
            I’m not advocating the unquestioned acceptance of religious principles.  On the contrary, I feel that religion serves best the person who questions why they believe.  Keeper of Promises succeeds, I believe, where other films have failed because it focuses is on a character with steadfast faith, who appears to have examined his reasons for acting as he does.  This man of faith is Zé do Burro (Leonardo Villar).  He’s walked a number of miles to Salvador, carrying with him a life-sized cross as a token of sacrifice to St. Barbara.  Along for the journey is his wife, Rosa (Glória Menezes), who is exhausted when they arrive in the hours before dawn, hoping to place the cross in the Church of the saint.  When they find the doors locked Zé is determined to wait with the cross, but Rosa is convinced by a local hustler that he will take her to a nearby hotel.  His intensions are obvious, but Rosa and Zé are naïve. 
            As the sunrise breaks over the massive flights of stairs that lead up to the church’s doors the priest arrives.  He’s impressed with Zé’s story of sacrifice until he learns that these actions were inspired by the peasant man’s belief that St. Barbara saved his donkey from certain death.  He denies him entrance to the cathedral, rebuking him for having prayed for the animal’s soul.  Incensed, Zé decides to wait out the priest, determined to keep his promise to the saint.  As the hours pass, a media circus descends on the great steps.  An atmosphere of Carnival develops that is reminiscent of Billy Wilder’s Ace in the Hole (1951)**.  Reporters form the television station arrive, and the leaders of the church are forced to meet to discuss the ramifications of the decision that must be made, all leading toward a startling and disparaging climax.  So great is this film’s cynicism regarding humanity, the 1001 text points out, that the righteous man’s only friend is his donkey.
            What’s truly interesting about the film is how good it looks.  On what I would assume was a limited budget, cinematographer H.E. Fowle, who made his name shooting documentary shorts in the 1930s and 40s, creates a vivid world using the black and white palette.  Staging and Mise en scène appear to have been taken into great consideration, particularly when it appears that much of the film was shot with natural light.  Fowle uses small architectural elements of the city to great effect as well, framing shots with intricate details of shaped rod iron and giving the impression that we a peaking around a corner to get a better look at the action.
            Much of the film’s religious symbolism is laid-on rather thick, but Keeper of Promises is still a compelling story of a man’s belief in his word.  The segments that follow Rosa’s interactions with the pimp are powerful as well, and serve nicely as a counterpart to the scene at the church.  While I can’t say that I understood the details of Duarte’s complaints against the church here, I’m willing to acknowledge that they may be contextually rooted in the religious practices of Brazil, and thus lost on me.  I can say that I don’t feel that I wasted 95 minutes on Keeper of Promises, as its images proved to be powerful.

Language: Portuguese (limited subtitles)
Runtime: 95 Minutes
              
Grade: 2 Hats Off


*although it is somewhat entertaining to internally speculate about what types of weaponry the bean counters might wield
**and the great staircase seems to be a clear reference to Battleship Potemkin (1925)  

0 comments:

Post a Comment