Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Decision



With only twenty titles left to go, I find myself a bit exhausted.  Searching for the films has now become a real chore.  I’m still absolutely determined to try to make my June 16th deadline, but I believe this may only be possible if I view some of the foreign language films without subtitles.  Several of them appear on the web with only their original audio, and alas I speak only English.  I will still be making every effort to see the twenty remaining titles, most of which are foreign, with subtitles if possible.  However, if I come across one that doesn’t have the translation, I’m going to go ahead and view it.  I’ve done this only once before, with Turkish Delight (1973; #88), and I don’t feel that it heavily detracted from my enjoyment of that title.  Is there potential here for skewed ratings? Yes.  However, I feel that the remaining titles may elude me forever, thus providing no opportunity for ratings, if I do not make the choice now to sacrifice the understanding of all dialogue.  I will mark any foreign language film I review, that I viewed without subtitles with an “NST”* after the availability note.

*No subtitles; I will apply this mark to the Turkish Delight entry as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment