Saturday, February 26, 2011

188: Da Zui Xia (Come Drink with Me)

Occasionally when I begin to write these reviews I’m compelled to look back at the 1001 text before I begin.  Sometimes I do so to jump start my writing process or to try to remember my first thought of what the film would be (I read the text cover to cover prior to ambitiously undertaking the book’s challenge).  In the case of King Hu’s Da Zui Xia (aka Come Drink with Me, 1966) when I returned to the text, I was looking for anything which justified this putrid film’s inclusion.  What I found was more of an excuse for its presence on the list.  The text’s reviewer warns the reader that “despite [the film’s] great charm, this is still early King Hu; his mastery of all aspects of the medium…would only be perfected in later masterworks.”  I would say that even that praise of this film is too high as I found little, if any, charm.
Come Drink with Me is basically an amalgamation of everything I hate about kung fu films.  From its pathetic special effects punctuated by bad editing, and complete melodramatic tone to its almost complete lack of plot, this one was a real stinker.  The book sets it up as the precursor of the wire-fu movement and films such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon (2000), which, though visually interesting, offer little in repeat viewing appeal.  Basically, if you’ve seen one you’ve seen everything the sub-genre has to offer.  This is something that Drink doesn’t even process internally, as one poorly choreographed and seemingly unprovoked sword fight follows another, offer little variation.  By the film’s end I wasn’t even quite sure who the hero was supposed to be anymore.  This same thing could be said about some amazing films, but here it’s just a note of complete confusion. 
My apologies to the Wu Tang Clan and all of their fans, but unless you’re completing the list challenge this one is not worth your time.
Grade: 0 Hats Off     

0 comments:

Post a Comment